Each month we'll be highlighting one mushroom that can be found in WNC during the current month. This is in an attempt to help members or guests learn our local mushrooms. It will also be noted whether the mushroom is edible, ill advised, or poisonous.

In wet conditions when things are a little boring, mushrooms growing from decomposing hardwood logs might be worth a look. One small species, Mycena haematopus, the Bleeding Mycena, isn’t edible but it is photogenic. The dry, smooth, conical to convex cap is radially lined, often scalloped at the margin. Color is somewhere between pink and a red wine stain. Large caps reach 1.5 inches in diameter. Gills are attached to the stalk, white at first but pinkening in age. The thin, hollow and somewhat fragile stalk is less than 3 inches long, pinkish above and darker below. It exudes reddish to brownish liquid when the mushroom is picked, hence Bleeding Mycena. Spores are white. Odor and taste are not distinctive.


Go to top